Thursday, April 13, 2006

Now I'm good 'n mad...


... because this freakin' male red bellied woodpecker keeps visiting the bird feeder and I just cannot get a decent shot of him. This is about the best I could do today, but I'll get him, I'll get him in the end, oh yes I will (name that tune?)

Today's White Thursday, but I presume this doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot to too many people out there. To me, it conjures up images of being liberated from school for 2 weeks (Easter vacation), daffodils in bloom, selling cheese to fat Germans driving mid sixties Volkswagen beetles, eating hard boiled eggs (and lots of them).

The odd year White Thursday coincides with my birthday. And so it was in 1959. I remember getting a soccer ball as the main present. Actually, calling it a soccer ball is a bit of an exaggeration, since it was a cheap plastic ball, oblong to boot (pun intended). It also sprung a leak about a week after I got it. Lo and behold, it was replaced with a better version! Woohoo!

Still in all, happy memories. Or should I say bittersweet?

No comments: